Another Overtime Loss Hurting the Mavericks.

The Missouri Maverick played the Wichita Thunder, Friday, in Wichita. The Mavericks were coming off a tough shoot out loss, two days earlier, and were looking to get a strong win but they had to beat the Wichita Thunder, who at the time were the best team in the CHL. The Mavericks failed to beat them but the game went to overtime and the Mavericks still came away with one point. Mavericks coach, Scott Hillman’s, thoughts on the game were,

“This game is a huge character point on the road in a very tough building to come from behind in. It was a real learning experience for our young players. (Jared) Lavender was a top performer for us on the blue line and Thinel had a huge game. We must win tomorrow in Tulsa.”

Three goals were scored in the first period but no fights were fought. The first goal was scored by the Thunder, in 9th minute, when Dustin Donaghy found the net after rebounding a Les Reaney slap-shot. In the 13th minute, the Thunder found the net once more when Todd Griffith shot and scored. RG Flath and Andrew Martes assisted the goal. With the Thunder leading 2-0, the Mavericks knew they had to score at least once to keep the game under control. Dave Pszenyczny scored that needed goal after being on the receiving end of a great Sebastian Thinel pass. The goal was scored in the 16th minute and four minutes later the first period came to a close with the Mavericks trailing 2-1.

The second period was somewhat deadening as only one goal was scored. The goal came in the 6th minute and was scored by the Wichita Thunder. Kevin Young scored the goal with the assist going to Ian Lowe. With the goal, the Thunder went ahead 3-1.

In the third period, the Mavericks scored three unanswered goals while still allowing the Thunder to score. The first Mavericks goal came, in the 1st minute, when Sebastian Thinel poked the puck into the goal after a good pass from Dave Pszenyczny. In the 3rd minute, Sebastian Thinel shot and scored the Mavericks third goal of the game. Dave Pszenyczny assisted this goal as well.  Later, in the 14th minute, Kenton Miller scored his first goal of the night after a superb pass from Dave Pszenyczny. Unfortunately, the Thunder scored an equalizing goal, in the 19th minute, when Ian Lowe found the net again. The game was tied 4-4 when the third period ended and was sent into overtime.

There was not a lot to say about overtime except that the Thunder scored within 11 seconds. Greger Hanson scored the goal with an amazing wrist shot that fooled Mike Clemente. That goal ended the game with the Thunder winning 5-4.

Even though the Mavericks lost, they still earned a point in the CHL standing but the Mavericks have to be disappointed since this is their third loss in a row. Tomorrow the Mavericks travel to Tulsa to take on the Oilers. The Oilers are the worst team in the CHL and Mavericks will likely get a win and get back on track. The thought right now for the Mavericks is to get back on their, early December, winning ways.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Visit Us On TwitterVisit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Google PlusVisit Us On YoutubeVisit Us On Linkedin