Mavericks Gain a Point in a Tough Loss

After a long week full of snow days and cancellations, the Mavericks  finally were ready for some ‘Friday Night Hockey’. Playing one of their  biggest rivals, the Quad City Mallards, the Mavericks were looking to start a six-point weekend and a winning-streak. Unfortunately, that’s  not the way it all went down.  The game was forced into overtime and then a shootout. The Mavericks lost in the seventh round of the shootout gaining one point but not the two they needed.

“It’s a weird one, we generated so many good quality scoring  chances in the first period. We just couldn’t settle the truck down,  even in the shootout. Guys were creating great chances but the puck just  pulled of their sticks and we couldn’t get the puck into the scoring  zone,” Hillman said, “We wish we had two points tonight and disappointed  we didn’t but we’re proud of the boys for being down by one in the  third and then giving us the chance to win.”

With only one goal being scored in the first forty minutes, the game started with a little bit of a lull. The goal was scored 5:58 into the first period by the Quad City Mallards, Anthony Perdicaro. After  receiving a great set-up pass from Mickey Lang, Perdicaro deked, shot and scored. The first period ended in a 1-0 lead for the Mallards. The second period showcased a vicious fight between Riley Emmerson, 6’8, Gabriel Boutin-Gagnon, 5’11. The fight was won by Emmerson from the  start but still, Emmerson thrashed, punched and never let Gangon get a good punch on him.

With the Mallards still leading 1-0 in the third period, something hit the Mavericks hard and the Mavericks started coming back. Just eight minutes in, Ryan Jardine and Sebastian Thinel had a 2 on 2 break.  Jardine fed Thinel a great pass and Thinel hit the bottom corner of the goal, tying the game at one. Precisely, a minute and a half later, the  Mavericks gained control of the lead on another great goal by Sebastian  Thinel. This goal was assisted by Kellen Tochkin. With a 1:46 to go in the game, the Mallards began pulling their goalie but as soon as he made it to the bench, Mike Stinziani scored tying the game at two and ultimately sending the game into overtime.

Both teams failed to score in overtime and sent the game to a  ‘nail-biting’ shootout. There were only three goals scored in the  shootout.  The first came in the first round on Mike Helleyer goal, then  Sebastian Thinel tied it up at one in the second round. After five more  rounds of no goals, the Mallards, Bob Preece shot and scored winning the  game for the Mallards.

“They [Mallards] work really hard so it was  pretty tough to get offensive chances but when we did, we didn’t bury  them right away. We got two in third and thought we had them but a  couple mistakes in our zone and they were right back in it,” Mavs  Captain, Sebastian Thinel said, “It’s the same story every time now and  we know it. It’s just too bad but we have two more games and we have to focus on those now.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Visit Us On TwitterVisit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Google PlusVisit Us On YoutubeVisit Us On Linkedin